Special Birthday Cake
My giant fracture boot and I held a small morning tea a couple of weeks ago to celebrate a few birthday's (I was dying to catch up with the outside world and had been feeling very out of the loop being stuck at home!). One of the guests is a vegan and another eats gluten free so on the menu was this Orange and Almond cake (V, GF) and Homemade Granola. For decoration and a wow factor I got edible flowers from Eveleigh markets. I also made extra granola and filled little jars for the girls to take home.
Orange and Almond Cake.
2 oranges, 4 Flax eggs, 3/4 Caster sugar, 3 cups caster sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Micro edible flowers for decoration.
1 orange, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20cm round springform pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Prepare Flax eggs, they need at least 15 minutes in the fridge before using.
- Place oranges in a large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain. Return to pan and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to the boil. Cook for a further 15 minutes. Drain and repeat once more or until very tender. Drain. Coarsely chop and discard any pips.
- Place orange in a food processor; process until smooth. Use an electric mixer to whisk flax eggs and sugar until thick. Add orange, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon; gently fold until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan to cool completely.
- To make syrup, use a zester to remove rind from orange. Juice orange. Place the juice, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Add orange zest. Set aside to cool.
- Drizzle the cake with syrup. Decorate cake top with micro edible flowers.
- Serve with Natural yogurt. (Optional)
1 cup raw almonds, 1 cup raw cashews, 1/4 cup raw pepitas/pumpkin seeds, 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (no shell), 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup agave nectar, 1 tsp. himalayan salt, 1 cup dates.
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees. Place the almonds, cashews and coconut flakes in a food processor or blender and pulse a few times to break into smaller chunks.
- Heat the coconut oil and agave nectar together in a medium sized mixing bowl for about 30-45 seconds. Add the seeds, nuts and coconut flakes and stir to coat.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once or twice. Remove from heat and add the dates and sprinkle with salt.
- Allow to cool for about 20 minutes or until hardened, and then break into chunks and enjoy.